I’m getting a loan/refi – what kind of water test do I need
I’m getting a loan/refi – what kind of water test do I need - WNC Independent Labs

Please ask your mortgage broker to check with underwriting!

FHA, VA, USDA Loans for Buyers require a water test for a home on a well/spring.

Typically, they want Total Coliform, E. coli, Lead, Nitrates, Nitrites (what we call our “Lender Scan” ).  Rarely, they will go through with just a Total Coliform and E. coli (“Basic Bacteria”).  For Refinances, sometimes they require the Lender Scan and sometimes just the Basic Bacteria. If the mortgage broker says it has to “meet local requirements”, that is the Lender Scan.

If you are unsure (or the mortgage broker is vague), we recommend erring on the side of caution, and getting the Lender Scan (if you get the Basic Bacteria and underwriting kicks it back, it will add time and cost). 

If the well has to be treated for bacteria and retested, check with your underwriter if they will accept the first test and the new basic bacteria test or if they need the lender test completely redone (so that all 5 pass on one test) – some lenders will accept two tests, some won’t.

Water and Test tube
Photo by Monstera on Pexels.com
28 January 2022 Water Testing FAQ
%d bloggers like this: